Highlights from Virtual ESW 2021
The IEEE IAS Electrical Safety Committee held its annual Electrical Safety Workshop (ESW) March 8-11. Originally to take place in Tucson, Arizona, Kevin Lippert, chair of the planning committee shifted to a virtual format due to the coronavirus pandemic. The technical program included 26 paper presentations and 8 student posters. Highlights from ESW 2021 include 500 attendees from 22 countries (a new record!), 24 exhibitors, and 4 media partners. 13 corporations provided financial contributions to help offset registration cost to attendees.
Daniel Roberts, Chair of the IAS Electrical Safety Committee hosted the Awards and Recognition program, highlighting the following contributions:
- The Electrical Safety Committee Outstanding Service Award was presented to Scott Seaver, and the Excellence in Prevention through Design Award was presented to Dennis Hill.
- ESW 2020 Best Paper Awards:
- Honorable Mention: Brett Brenner & Daniel Majano, for “Expanding Workplace Electrical Safety to Non-Electrical Occupations”
- Honorable Mention: Hugh Hoagland, Claude Maurice, Marcia Eblen, Jim Phillips, for “Matching Arc Rated PPE to the Hazard: Why Does it Work?”
- 2nd Best Paper: Tammy Gammon & Derek Vigstol, for “A State-by-State Comparison of Occupational Electrical Fatalities”
- Best Paper: Tommy Martinez & Julian Trujillo, for “Complacency is your Enemy: Anatomy of an Arc Flash Incident and Lessons Learned”
- Recognition of Subcommittee Chairs:
- Tim Rohrer, Publicity Subcommittee Chair 2011 – 2019
- Kevin Lippert, ESW 2021 Chair
- Mark Scott, ESW 2022 Chair
For over 28 years the ESW has established itself as the industry’s premier electrical safety conference. Click Here to Register Now